With evenings drawing in earlier with the approaching winter months, as a young driver it's important to stay safe whilst on the road.
Apart from keeping your young drivers insurance claims to a minimum, careful driving at night is imperative to keep yourself and others safe whilst on the road.
iKube young drivers insurance has always been based around the time of day you drive. We recognised early on that between the hours of 11pm - 5am were statistically the most dangerous times of the evening to drive, hence why our black box insurance is designed to alert us when you drive late at night.
However, iKube also recognise the fact that, even before 11pm at night, in the winter months it gets dark far earlier and you will be out on the road.
What Can You Do To Stay Safe Whilst Driving?
- Drive at a safe speed - by not exceeding the stated road limit.
- Try to stick to well-lit roads if possible. If you must use darker roads then simply reduce your speed.
- Give your car a wash - keeping your windscreen and lights clean will make you more visible on the road.
- Since response times at night tends to be slower it's worth increasing the distance between your car and the one in front (for example, if you're on a busy dual carriageway).
- Oncoming traffic can dazzle you if their headlights are set to full-beam. If this is the case then consider using the edge of the road as a guide.
- If you're looking at making longer journeys then consider stopping for short breaks - i.e. at service stations for a quick cup of coffee and some fresh air.
For more tips on staying safe on the road check out: