A recent article by thisislincolnshire.co.uk has revealed the top five cars that learner drivers should consider when getting behind the wheel for the first time.
They've taken into motoring costs - such as road tax, learner driver insurance and MOT when suggesting cars for learners to help manage their / parent's budget.
They include cars such as the Toyota Aygo, Smart Fortwo, Chevrolet Spark, Ford Ka and the Vauxhall Corsa.
However, when you look at the cars they all tend to come with a very similar specification. The majority have a 1.0 / 1.2 litre engine and fall into group 1 (or 2 / 3 at a push) for car insurance. Read our guide on car insurance groups to find out more.
Each of the cars mentioned in the article all tend to be fuel efficient and you should expect to get at least 55mpg.
In order of top-to-bottom cars to drive for learner drivers we have:
1. Toyota Aygo / Citreon C1 / Peugeot 107 - apparently they just couldn't make up their minds! They are all believed to be good cars for learner drivers.
2. The Smart Fortwo - a hybrid vehicle that could help save on fuel consumption, however, it does fall into insurance group 3 so the cost of provisional insurance may be a little higher than the others.
3. The Chevrolet Spark - an American vehicle with the most capacity of the five contenders.
4. The Ford Ka - a reliable fuel efficient vehicle that is ideal for first-time drivers.
5. The Vauxhall Corsa - a popular choice amongst driving schools that is fuel efficient and appears to be the most capable of handling longer journeys.